Frequently Asked Questions
- What will school look like in the 2020-2021 school year?
- What are the rules and expectations for social (physical) distancing at this time?
- Under what circumstances can parents visit campus?
- What hygiene protocols are in place to support health and safety?
- What if someone in our household is at increased risk for infection?
- Will there be temperature checks upon arrival at school?
- Will the cafeteria be open and how will BIS manage this with social distancing?
- What is the current status for Athletics, After School Activities, Music or Drama?
- What if students are unable to start the school year as planned?
- How should I talk to my children about COVID-19?
- Will the BIS bus service still be running and if yes what safety measures are in place for students?
- What additional health and safety measures have been implemented to ensure health and safety at this time?
- What happens if my child becomes ill during the school day?
- When can my child return to school after they have been ill with a fever or Covid-19?
- Where can I get tested for COVID-19?
- What do I have to consider if I have just arrived in Germany from abroad?
- What happens if there is a positive case of COVID-19 at school?
Response Levels Identified by Bavaria
Individual suspected or confirmed COVID-19 cases within a class or within an individual school.
- Temporary suspension of classroom instruction in suspected cases in the class(es) concerned and possibly the entire school until the test results are available
- Affected class(es)/learning groups and possibly the entire school, move to Distance Learning
- Rapid testing of those affected
- If a confirmed case of COVID-19 occurs in a class or learning group, the entire class or learning group will be tested for SARS-CoV-2 and excluded from class for 14 days
Seven day incidence >20 per 100,000 inhabitants
- Obligation to wear a suitable mouth-nose cover for students also in their seats (removal only when speaking)
- Alternatively, a minimum distance of 1.5 metres between students in the classroom, where this is spatially possible
- If a confirmed case of COVID-19 occurs in a class or learning group, the entire class or learning group is tested for SARS-CoV-2 and excluded from class for 14 days
Seven day incidence >35 per 100,000 inhabitants
- Reintroduction of the minimum distance of 1.5 metres between students
- Temporary division of the classes and weekly or daily rotation of student groups in onsite and Distance Learning
Seven day incidence >50 per 100,000 inhabitants
- Temporary termination of onsite attendance at all schools in the respective district
- Conversion to Distance Learning
*In the event of a nationwide second wave, stages 2, 3 and 4 of the above procedure may also be implemented for the whole of Bavaria, depending upon the intensity of the infection.