Primary School (EC - Grade 5)
Secondary School (Grade 6 - 12)
BIS moved to its Haimhausen campus in August 1998. The School occupies five main buildings on a single site in the village of Haimhausen, approximately 10 kilometres north of the Munich City boundary. It is situated in beautifully landscaped parklands and surrounded by environmentally protected woodlands. A number of purpose-built modern buildings have been added to the campus to provide the range of facilities required for a high-quality EC1 to Grade 12 international school.
The Schloss, which forms the impressive centrepiece of the BIS campus, has a rich history stretching back to the late 1500s. The building features a number of architectural treasures and has been the home of three significant Bavarian families over the years. Bavarian International School purchased the property in 1997. After a year of re-modelling and the construction of additional purpose built educational facilities, BIS opened for its first school year in Schloss Haimhausen in September 1998. Today, the Schloss provides classroom space for languages, art facilities, a theatre for Secondary School students and a chapel which is used to further promote the Visual and Performing Arts. In addition the Schloss houses the offices of the Director, the Business Director, the IT Department and various other administrative offices.
This 24 classroom complex was completed in January 2007. All rooms in this new three storey
complex open onto a central atrium which fills the building with natural light. Designed to harmonise in style with the existing modern and historical buildings, this building provides a new library for Primary students, a state-of-the-art ICT Lab, Science laboratories, two Music rooms, EAL and Learning Support rooms, and offices for the Primary School Principal, Assistant Principal and PYP Coordinator. There are currently 471 students in the Primary School.
The Middle School building was built in 1997, and consists of 24 spacious classrooms with views to the outside grounds through the extra large windows. The classrooms are home for the students in grades 6-12. On the top floor there are specifically designed and equipped facilities for teaching Physics, Chemistry, and Biology for Secondary School students. The offices of the Secondary School Principal and Deputy Principal are situated on the ground floor of the building. There are currently 535 students in the Secondary School.
BIS moved to its Haimhausen campus in August 1998. The School occupies five main buildings on a single site in the village of Haimhausen, some 10 kilometres north of the Munich City boundary. It is situated in beautifully landscaped parklands and surrounded by environmentally protected woodlands. A number of purpose built modern buildings have been added to the campus, to provide the range of facilities required for a high-quality EC1 to Grade 12 international school.
The School Auditorium opened in fall 2003 and features a 510 seat theatre with acoustics, lighting and sound facilities ideally suited for musical and drama performances. The performance centre is equipped for a range of technical applications, including wireless computer access, electronic data presentations and computer-based music. A large flexible music classroom is located just off of the upper level viewing gallery. The theatre is the home of weekly student assemblies, seminars, presentations and PTO gatherings. The bright and spacious entrance foyer in front of the theatre provides an ideal surrounding for festive postperformances receptions, exhibitions, and special school events. Large events benefit from the proximity of the attractive and spacious cafeteria and exhibition space along with washroom facilities, all located just off the foyer.
The cafeteria was opened in March 2011 and features a unique setting for a school cafeteria. The capacity of the cafeteria is for 400 students who can enjoy their break in a design based on a ‘marketplace’ concept. The cafeteria boasts three serving areas, a variety of seating areas and a wonderful view of the playing fields and forest, which backs onto the school. The cafeteria provides technical facilities for presentations and performances as well as tasteful lighting to enhance the ambiance. The cafeteria also provides the backdrop for our ‘Learning journey’ mural which charts the progression for our students from Pre-Reception through to Grade 12 and provides a link to the Schloss and the new modern state-of–the–art buildings.
Secondary School Library
Above the modern cafeteria rests our new library for Secondary School students. This light and spacious library provides an array of print and media resources for our students. In addition to the fiction and non-fiction book collections, the library provides an immensely rich and varied electronic research capability, accessed by means of the numerous computers located within the facility and supported by a combined IT/research help-desk for students and teachers. This functional building also features delightful views over the park-like school grounds from its panoramic windows and paved deck area. In addition to the library, this new facility also provides students with the opportunity to enjoy Music classes and to practice their instruments in a new purpose built room.
With the completion of our modern triple gym in Autumn 2013, we offer our students even more space. This light, attractive and spacious hall provides indoor sporting and physical education facilities, which supports and enhances teaching, and the engagement in, a range of sports including basketball (up to three full courts), volleyball and badminton, and features a sizable climbing wall, a separate spacious gym for health and fitness activities, a large viewing gallery, and storage space for the large range of equipment and materials. The Sports Hall is also used for activities offered in the Enrichment Programme, and is frequently used by external groups and teams within the Haimhausen community. A state of the art 400 meter athletic track, and an additional sports field, was completed in September 2008 and is well utilized by the school community.
Temporary School Buildings
In 2011 and 2012 BIS added two state of the art temporary school buildings offering an additional 18 fully equipped classrooms and two group rooms to extend capacities.
In 1281, Schloss Haimhausen was listed as a castle (castrum) in a gazetteer of Upper Bavaria. It was destroyed in the Thirty Years War and rebuilt only in 1660, for an Imperial as an ornate Baroque structure by Andreas Wolff.1747and ensuing years, Francois Cuvillies the Elder, enlarged the villa by seven bays on each side and added two wings. The external form of the house, with the high roof typical of the region, has remained unchanged to this day. The banqueting hall on the second floor (third story), with its ceiling painting of The Four Seasons by Bergmuller (dated 1750) and its two rare Nymphenburger porcelain stoves, forms the visual climax of the state apartments of Schloss Haimhausen. The remarkable chapel owes its splendour to its ceiling painting, again by Bergmuller (Salvator Mundi, dated 1750), together with delicate Rococo stucco work by Verhelst.
The beautiful Golden Room on the second floor was decorated by Cuvilliés, who also executed other decorative architecture in such famous buildings as the Munich Residenz (royal palace), the Residenz Theatre, the manor Amalienburg in the grounds of Schloss Nymphenburg, and rooms in Schloss Brühl, near Bonn. The ceiling murals in both the Golden Room and the Chapel were executed by the famous Augsburg artist, Johann Bergmüller, in 1750.
The last member of the Viepeckh family, Count Sigmund, was a renowned politician, scientist and intellectual. Sigmund was instrumental in setting up the now world-famous Nymphenburg Porcellain factory and was a founding member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences (1753). Count Sigmund von Viepeckh died leaving no heirs to his estate.
The property was sold to James Eduard Haniel, an ancestor of the Haniel brewing family who are still our neighbours. Under James Haniel the park around the Schloss was redeveloped into an English style park. In 1794 the manor moved into the hands of the Counts Buttler of Haimhausen. By the 1930s the manor house had become too expensive to maintain and heat, and it ceased to be used as a family home. During World War 2 the chapel was used as storage place for thousands of books from the Bavarian State Library. Between 1949 and 1975 the Schloss was used by the Bavarian Legal Aid School and later the Munich Police Academy. Between 1976 and 1986 the International Antiques Salon occupied all rooms with its period exhibits.
In 1983 the Schloss was sold by the Haniel family to the art-loving couple Hans Daxer and Louise Piech, who restored the building to its former glory during their residency.
The Bavarian International School acquired the Schloss in 1997 and during the ensuing year carefully and tastefully remodelled the interior to serve as classrooms and offices, and built a three-storey lower school building, sports hall and library pavilion. In September 1998 the school opened its doors for the first time in its beautiful new home.